Most people associate mice and rats chiefly with disease spreading, but these rodents can do major damage without you ever coming into contact with them. That’s because they chew through everything. They can cause house fires by chewing through electrical wiring. They can ruin your roofing or foundation by burrowing through it to get inside. And perhaps worst of all because you won’t see it coming, they can tear up your home’s walls and ceilings from the inside out, only revealing themselves when the problem is too far along to fix.
There are steps you can take to prevent mice and rats from getting into your home, such as sealing up cracks and plugging what gaps you can in your masonry, foundation, and roofing. But what can you do once these rodents are IN THE HOUSE?
First of all, don’t freak out. They’re as scared of you as you are of them. Now, onto what you should do:
- Listen closely at night, when your house is at its most quiet, for sounds they’ll make when active; things like scurrying, chewing, and squeaking
- When you think you know where they are active, go to those areas and see if you can find things like chew marks, dusty footprints, and droppings
- In what you feel are the highest traffic areas, set your preferred trap; there are all different kinds on the market, so choose whichever ones you feel most comfortable with, and use plenty of them
- Stay vigilant once the traps are set: monitor them every couple days, remove a trap if you catch a rodent, and update locations if it appears your traps aren’t set in the right spots
- Once you think you’ve caught or scared away the rodents and you no longer see any droppings, clean up the high-traffic areas with chemical disinfectant (be careful here, and follow all cleanser directions)
That last step is very important: mice and rats have a pheromone they release that lets other mice and rats, as well as other rodents like raccoons, know they’ve been somewhere, which makes those other animals assume the coast is clear. Wipe away all trace of their presence in your home, and you minimize your risks of another infestation.
Or, simply call us at Rest Easy Pest Control. It doesn’t matter if you’re dealing with mice and rats in Nassau County, Suffolk County, or any of the five boroughs: we’re here to help you out.