Next we need to initialize the plugin:

bees-and-wasps-facts-flower-3Now that spring has arrived, you might have noticed that bees and wasps are buzzing around again. Bees are out pollinating flowers while wasps continue to look like they have a chip on their shoulders. At least, that’s the way the general public often sees them.



The real danger of these insects is the fact that they sting. Regardless of the type of bee or wasp you come in contact with, one of your immediate concerns is whether or not it might sting you. Although it’s doubtful that you’ve ever seen someone attacked by one of these flying creatures who hadn’t provoked it, the fear is still there. This is why it’s important that you be aware of bee and wasp facts as they relate to being stung.



Bees and wasps facts: pain


This is the first thing most people think of when they see a bee or wasp. No one likes pain, and some species of these insects can deliver quite a painful sting. The sense of being stung is akin to being stabbed with a small needle, but the real pain is derived from the venom that is injected into the area. The site of the sting will hurt for hours, and can ache for days, depending on the strength of the venom. So when you see someone running from a bee or wasp, it’s easy to see why.


Bee and wasp facts: skin irritation


This can be a problem for people who have sensitive skin. Being stung by either a bee or wasp is an invasion into your body. This isn’t a needle that’s been treated by a trained physician. Even the force of the sting itself might be enough to irritate your skin. But the act of injecting venom, in addition to the puncture itself, can be quite vexing. You may even need to treat the irritation with products such as a soothing lotion or aloe remedies.


Bee and wasp facts: allergic reactions


This is the big worry that many people have. A severe allergy in regards to bee and wasp stings can cause breathing problems that must be quickly treated to avoid serious health complications or even death. In some cases, people must carry what is called an “EpiPen,” which is basically a needle that can be used immediately in the event of a sting. This is because symptoms for allergy sufferers can sometimes be quick and deadly. They simply don’t have the time to get to a doctor. For those who have never been stung, and don’t know if they’re allergic, the possibility of being stung can be nearly as stressful, and even those who have been stung before can develop an allergic reaction.



Photo Credit:  Turkish Travel via Flickr