New York has a steady stream of insect life. Some are more serious than others. It doesn’t seem to matter how immaculate you keep your home or business, you are bound to stumble into an infestation sooner or later. Being better schooled in the various pests native to your surroundings helps you in your quest to deter them from your dwellings; or at the very least help you get rid of them. Sewer flies are a big nuisance in Manhattan, New York. Buzzing around your personal space and annoying you until the point of madness; sewer flies are certainly an filthy New York pest that transmit harmful bacteria and diseases.
Rest Easy Pest Control would like to relate some facts concerning drain flies and how to better remove these sewer flies from your home or business.
Sewer Fly Pest Infestation Facts
– Sewer flies are also known as drain flies.
– Sewer flies are often confused with moths because of their wing size and furry bodies.
– They can contribute to asthmatic issues and can cause problems for those spending time in your home or business.
– Sewer flies are more commonly found in the following places:
o Kitchen drains, especially those void of a garbage disposal.
o Bathroom sinks, mostly because of neglect. More often people don’t bother with regular bathroom drain cleaning unless there is a clog.
o Shower/bathtub drains are also known for going long periods of time in between cleanings, so drain flies will often settle in there as well.
o Unused pipes that have been stagnant for an extended period of time.
o Indoor Houseplants.
– Though sewer flies can be relatively large as far as flies are concerned, they still can slip through small cracks, holes and crevices in your home or business.
– Sewer lines under buildings also make for good nesting grounds.
– Drain flies will feed on almost anything from decomposed food to human waste.
– Sewer flies carry serious diseases!
How to Get Rid of Drain Flies Naturally by Cleaning Your Drains with Bleach, Salt, Baking Soda & Vinegar
1. Begin by cleaning the drain or drains.
2. Using a zipit tool, or something similar, remove the bulk build up from your drain.
2. Combine 1 part bleach to 5 parts water, and flush it down your drains, followed by approximately 4-5 cups of boiling water.
3. Continue treatment the following morning by pouring 1/2 cup of salt in the drain, immediately layer it with a 1/2 cup baking soda, and on the last layer pour 1 cup white vinegar. Allow the layers to set overnight.
4. Flush the drains with approximately 2-3 cups of boiling water.
5. To help prevent future sewer fly outbreaks, be sure to maintain the pipes with the above directions periodically.
Sewer / Drain Fly Pest Inspection, Prevention, Control & Removal in Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn & Staten Island as well as Nassau & Suffolk Counties, New York
Rest Easy Pest Control has the expertise, skills and superior equipment and chemicals to eradicate any infestation; including sewer flies. Our professionals will not only remove any pest intruding into your home, but with regular, routine visits, we can help hinder any unwanted pest or critter from moving in into your home or business in the first place. Call us today to schedule your consultation!